CITY

24Nov
  • IMG_9372.JPG
  • IMG_9374.JPG
  • IMG_9381.JPG
  • IMG_9387.JPG
  • IMG_9397.JPG
  • IMG_9404.JPG
  • IMG_9427.JPG
  • IMG_9430.JPG
  • IMG_9444.JPG
  • IMG_9481.JPG
  • IMG_9486.JPG
  • IMG_9493.JPG
  • IMG_9506.JPG
  • IMG_9556.JPG
  • IMG_9565.JPG
  • IMG_9588.JPG
  • IMG_9605.JPG
  • IMG_9615.JPG
  • IMG_9622.JPG
  • IMG_9629.JPG
  • IMG_9631.JPG

varasd oldala

Értékleltár (letölthető dokumentumok)

Varaždin is an unknown treasure hoard of history, extremely rich in medieval, Renaissance, and Baroque buildings. It was owned by the Cilleis in the 15th century; the first siege it underwent also dates back to this time. In the civil war that followed the Varna battle defeat John Hunyadi’s army laid siege to the town and burnt it down. The so-called Old Castle was already standing at this time, surrounded by a system of trenches and ramparts. Its real urban heyday came under George of Brandenburg in the first decades of the 16th century. He supported the burgesses by giving them many privileges and donated his palace located in the main square to the magistrates in 1523 – this building still houses the town council and is thus Europe’s oldest functioning Town Hall. During Brandenburg’s time the eastern tower of the castle and the city walls were constructed. At the time of the Mohács battle the town was in the hands of Palatine István Báthori; it was his soldiers who defended the castle against Kristóf Frangepán in 1527. The warlord who supported John of Szapolyai received a deadly gunshot wound in the siege and this determined that the province would pass onto Ferdinand’s side.
From the 1530s Varaždin was centre of the Slavonian war theatre, with frontier castle soldiers controlled from here and supplies stored locally. In 1543 Hans Ungnad received the town as royal donation; it was during his time that the modernisation of the castle was commenced. The works were led by Italian military engineer Dominico dell’ Allio who constructed a renaissance water-castle. This was the period when the round north-western tower was built, along with the high earthen ramparts surrounded by a deep trench into which the water of the river Drava was channelled. The medieval gate tower was partially pulled down and rifle slits were added while a cannon terrace was constructed on the top.
In the course of construction works considerations for comfort and aesthetic value were also taken into consideration in addition to defensive features. The courtyard hidden behind the walls received numerous Renaissance decorative elements. A nicely carved well stands in the middle with Renaissance style stone window frames all around the first floor facade. From the courtyard a connecting loggia runs to the eastern tower; the railings, columns and painted facades also reflect Italian influence. The castle of Varaždin was at the same time an inaccessible frontier castle and a Renaissance palace.
The inner castle was part of an outer one, which was demolished, with only the castle gate (also called a watchtower) remaining on the far side of the yard in front of the palace. Beyond this there stretched the town, also surrounded by strong walls. Due to the protection the town provided, the nobles of Slavonia took up the habit of building their houses there. The palaces of the Draskovich, Erdődy, Patacsich and Sermage families stand to be admired to the present day. Besides, Varaždin is full of Turkish period church buildings. The Gothic bell tower of its parish church, Saint Nicholas’s, which dates back to the Middle Ages, is still preserved. The Jesuit church as well as the Franciscan one consecrated to Saint John the Baptist was built in the 17th century. The latter one served as the inauguration venue for Miklós Zrínyi, the poet and warlord to the office of ban in 1649. At this time there already stood the monasteries of the two orders at different points of the town and there was a very active religious life among those walls.
For centuries Varaždin counted to be the capital of Slavonia. The estates assembly was often in seat here, justice was administered and bans were inaugurated. In the course of the 17th century the Erdődys held the office of ban for a long time, and simultaneously held the town as feudal overlords. The 1517 reconstruction of the castle is also connected to their name, to which their coat-of-arms attests, placed over the entrance. Up to 1776 there was a fair chance for Varaždin to become the capital of the newly emerging state of Croatia, but then a huge fire almost totally destroyed the town. The following decades were spent with reconstruction: the town walls were demolished and sections of the outer castle also vanished.
Fortunately though, most of the ramparts and bastions around the castle have survived. There are the bastions still standing with their connecting traverses, and the area of the trenches on both sides of the ramparts is also still there. The eastern wall rampart has survived, while most ramparts and trenches on the southern side were not kept in the course of later rebuilding. In spite of this, the glorious past is palpably felt at every step the visitor takes: in the exhibition within the castle gate tower, at the cannon placed next to the castle entrance as well as in the historical museum that opened in the castle in 1925.
The town, as its inhabitants say, is the Croatian Vienna; it is a place where history and tradition are kept alive with sincere affection. The castle is open all round the year and every autumn there is a famous Baroque music festival held here, which evokes the spirit of the heroic past.

Information


Tourist Community, Varaždin
Tel.:+385/042/210-987
42000 Varaždin Ivana Padovca 3.
www.tourism-varazdin.hr
email:info@tourism-varazdin.hr

Gastronomy


Kavana Grofica Marica Trg kralja
Tel.:+385/042/320-077
42000 Varasd Trg kralja Tomislava 2.
Restoran Verglec
Tel.:+385/042/211-131
42000 Varasd Silvija Strahimira Kranjčevića 14.
www.verglec.com
The Old City Pub
Tel.:+385/098/979-1959
42000 Varasd Augusta Šenoe 11.
Restoran - Gradski Bazeni
Tel.:+385/092/292-0903
42000 Varasd Zagrebačka 85a.
www.zujabar.com
Restoran Domenico
Tel.:+385/042/212-017
42000 Varasd Trg slobode 7
Restoran Santa Maria
Tel.:+385/042/330-000
42000 Varaždin Optujska ulica 72F
www.santamaria.hr
email:santa.maria@vz.t-com.hr
Restoran Angelus
Tel.:+385/042/303-868
42000 Varasd Ulica Alojzija Stepinca 3.
www.angelus.com.hr
Rock Art Caffe
Tel.:+385/042/321-123
42000 Varasd Ulica Petra Preradovića 24.
www.rock-art.hr
email:info@rock-art.hr
Restoran i catering Raj
Tel.:+385/042/213-146
42000 Varasd Ivana Gundulića 11.

Sights


Varaždin Castle, Renaissance Mansion City Museum in the mansion
Cathedral Sermage Mansion Parish Church of Saint Nicholas
Baroque buildings, palaces, churches and monasteries of the City Centre

Accommodations


Hotel Turist Varaždin***
Tel.:+385/042/395-395
42000 Varaždin Aleja kralja Zvonimira 1.
www.hotel-turist.hr
Hotel Varazdin Varaždin***
Tel.:+385/042/290-720
42000 Varaždin Kolodvorska 19.
www.hotelvarazdin.com
email:info@hotelvarazdin.com
Pansion Maltar Varaždin***
Tel.:+385/042/311-100
42000 Varaždin Franca Prešerna 1.
email:info@maltar.hr
Hotel Istra****
Tel.:+385/042/659-659
42000 Varaždin Kukuljevićeva 6.
www.istra-hotel.hr
email:info@istra-hotel.hr
Park Boutique Hotel****
Tel.:+385/042/420-300
42000 Varasd Juraja Habdelića 6.
www.park-boutique-hotel.eu
email:recepcija@park-boutique-hotel.eu
B&B Garestin
Tel.:+385/042/214-314
42000 Varasd Zagrebačka 34.
email:rezervacije@pansion-garestin.com