CITY

24Nov
  • IMG_0329.JPG
  • IMG_0335.JPG
  • IMG_0352.JPG

szentilona oldala

Értékleltár (letölthető dokumentumok)

Nothing reminds the visitor at the settlement located in a few kilometres’ distance from Čakovec of the fact that it used to be the burial place of the Zrínyis. The modern-style Pauline church blends in completely to the background of modern buildings and there is not a single sign that would indicate that the family mausoleum-chapel stands at a few hundred metres’ distance on a lot completely surrounded by houses.
Lackfi István founded the Šenkovec Pauline monastery in honour of the Virgin Mary in 1376. The cloister building was finished under the Cilleis, and they also donated the settlement of Šenkovec to the monks. Miklós Zrínyi received the Mura river region in 1546. Out of respect for his mother, he had it consecrated to the reverence of Saint Helen and relocated the monks from his estate in Monyorókerék to this village in 1558. He had a chapel built adjacent to the Pauline friars’ church between 1559 and 1561, where he also buried his wife, Katalin Frangepán, who died in 1561. A few years later his head was also laid to rest here, and his son György erected a red marble tomb in his memory. Protestantism reached the Mura river region in the 1570s, which put considerable strain on the relationship of the Zrínyis and the Paulines. The monastery nevertheless continued functioning undisturbed and according to some sources György Zrínyi, who had converted to Lutheranism was also laid to rest here in 1603.
The poet Miklós Zrínyi’s father was also buried here in 1627, and at this time the family burial chapel was extended. From 1639 the Paulines were allowed to hold celebrations on their protective saint’s day and could live and work in peace. As ordered in the will of Miklós Zrínyi, the poet, his remains were also interred here in a metal coffin in 1664. As he wrote: „First we wish that, when according to your will, Almighty God, we part from this mortal state of ours, and exchange it for eternal bliss, our remains should be buried without any superfluous pomp and expense at our burial place in Šenkovec, and the final rites should not be postponed at length, but should be held within a month in all circumstances. … To the Šenkovec convent and the Pauline fathers, in order that they remember us and our family in their prayers, we leave a hundred buckets of wine annually for ten years following our death, and we wish this to be certainly given to them”.
According to Pauline memory and tradition, the body of Ádám Zrínyi, who fell in the battle of Szalánkemén was also buried here, but this remains unproved. The monastery and mausoleum burnt down in 1695. It was probably this occasion when the Szigetvár hero’s tombstone was damaged, and when the monastery was rebuilt the other sarcophagi and the mausoleum itself also vanished without trace. In 1738 an earthquake struck Šenkovec and in 1786 the Paulines lost their cloister under the regulations of Emperor Joseph II. The property was given to the Knezevich family, who had the house rebuilt as a palace. The year 1880 brought another earthquake, which caused further damage. In 1924 archaeological excavations were launched in the area. In the course of this, the bigger part of the Zrínyi tombstones was found; they are now exhibited at the castle museum in Čakovec.
By the late 1980s only a dilapidated chapel and the altar space survived as reminders to the old cloister. Newly conducted excavations unearthed the remains of the 14th-century gothic chapel, which was adorned with frescoes. The whole church interior used to be covered by wall paintings; of these, only fragments have remained recognisable. There are surviving gothic stone carvings from the 15th and 16th centuries, along with vault stones, gateway fragments, and the upper part of a dipartite stone window frame as precious objects from olden days. The ruins have been restored, and the now fenced-off area belongs to the Mura river region Museum, Čakovec.

Information


Gastronomy


Caffe Bar Korona-Korner
Tel.:+385/040/343-381
40000 Szentilona Valenta Morandinija 15.

Sights


Chapel of Saint Helen and the Tomb of the Zrínyi family

Accommodations


Marijan Peras
Tel.:+385/040/343-509
40000 Szentilona Budina ul. 8a
www.marijanperas.from.hr