• IMG_6408.JPG
  • IMG_6409.JPG
  • IMG_6439.JPG
  • IMG_6450.JPG
  • IMG_6457.JPG
  • IMG_6502.JPG
  • IMG_6511.JPG
  • IMG_6583.JPG

babócsa oldala

Értékleltár (letölthető dokumentumok)

Babócsa is fortunate enough to be the site of several castles in Turkish times. The settlement on the river Rinya was in the possession of the Báthorys in the first half of the 16th century. It was mercenaries paid by them and by the king that served in the castle that defended the line of the Drava River. It entered ottoman hands briefly in 1555 as well as in 1556. In the 1560s it undisputedly belonged to the hinterland of Szigetvár; captain general Miklós Zrínyi was in charge of its soldiers. The garrison’s men fled in 1566; the Turks captured it and immediately started fortification works. In October 1567 Sultan’s orders came that a smaller fortress should be erected opposite the so-called Nárciszos, a castle on the eastern banks of the Rinya, and Christian serfs should be settled there the six-hundred-strong Ottoman troops stationed at the castle acted as a shield against sudden raids launched from the frontier castle of Kanizsa, and also defended the riverside. A Benedictine monastery and church stood in the place of Nárciszos in the Middle Ages, along with a fortified nobleman’s country house. In Turkish times a palisade castle was built here, and over the monastery and cemetery, a large steam bath. The corners of the castle were fortified with towers; from the outside it was protected with a rampart and a ditch, traces of which are still visible today. The former castle hill is situated within the village: locals call it Törökvár (Turkish Castle). This was also a place for a castle in the Middle Ages. From 1490 György Báthory created a residence and a game park here. Most of this vanished in Turkish times, although György Zrínyi recaptured the castle in 1594. The walls demolished by the Turks were quickly rebuilt, but it was taken by Turks again in 1600, together with the castle of Kanizsa. It was yet again demolished in the 1664 campaign; according to Evliya only a brickwork mosque, a caravanserai and the bath survived the fire. It finally came back to Hungarian hands in 1686 but having lost its strategic value, the castles fell victim to gradual decay. A small metal cannon cast in 1556 was found in the castle Hill area in 1960; now it is exhibited in the Drava Museum in Barcs. Babócsa is worth visiting at the end of April or beginning of May for the




Daffodil Path
Turkish Well
Somssich Mansion
Chapel of the Sacred Heart Roman Catholic Church